What Is Acetyl L-Carnitine?
Acetyl-L-Carnitine is also called ALCAR and is a well researched nutritional supplement that is synthesized to provide a more bioavailable form of L-Carnitine. L-Carnitine is a derivative of amino acid lysine. L-Carnitine is made naturally in the human body by the kidneys and liver and then transported to other tissues such as the heart and the brain. Acetyl-L-Carnitine functions as an antioxidant and induces the production of glutathione that is a free radical scavenger in the cells.
Many different people can benefit from this supplement. People who are simply looking to lose weight, athletes, bodybuilders, weight lifters, runners and even those who like playing sports. The benefits of taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine are:
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine is involved in cellular metabolism, and it can help in energy production in the mitochondria and thereby boosting physical and mental energy
- As a dietary supplement, it is often used to help improve memory
- It is used to address symptoms of depression and withdrawal
- Treatment of Peyronie’s Disease, Parkinson’s Disease, and stroke
- Daily supplementation with Acetyl-L-Carnitine can have a protective effect on the CNS, and it may benefit the heart
- It can enhance visual memory and attention in people with Down’s Syndrome
- It can slow age-related mental decline
- It may help in the long-term treatment of ADHD
- It can also be used for infertility treating symptoms of male menopause or low testosterone levels due to aging
- Use to treat disease of the penis called Peyronie’s disease a condition that causes the penis to curve abnormally
- In the treatment of nerve pain due to diabetes, drugs used in the treatment of AIDS and facial paralysis
- Used to solve thinking problems that are related to alcoholism and Lyme’s Disease
- May be used for helping to improve certain behaviors in boys with fragile X Syndrome such as their social skills and hyperactivity
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine acts as an antioxidant, and this is thought to lead to the production of a substance called Glutathione in the cells that acts as a very efficient free radical scavenger
- Helps in the removal of harmful particles and toxins from the body
It is recommended that users should take Acetyl-L-Carnitine up to three times a day, generally either with meals or before or after a workout. When used with food, it helps the drug to be absorbed more readily by the body as well as maintaining a consistent supply within the body system. This may remove any side effects such as stomach discomfort or diarrhea that could otherwise occur. As far as dosing, experts recommended somewhere between 250 and 500mg per day, although a dosage of up to 4 grams has been shown to be safe. Many compounds can increase the strength of ALCAR, including Bacopa Monnieri and Vinpocetine.
Acetyl-L-Carnitine side effects are few and far between when taken at the recommended dosage levels:
- Mild gastrointestinal symptoms like nausea, vomiting, and abdominal cramps, but this can be controlled by taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine with food
- Increase in agitation
- Trouble sleeping
- Increase in seizure frequency in people with a seizure disorder
- Increased blood pressure
- Low blood sugar and higher triglycerides in people with diabetes
- Psychosis in people with bipolar disorder
- Signs of psychiatric disturbances like depression and confusion in people with Alzheimer’s Disease
- Interference with thyroid metabolism
Expectant and nursing women are cautioned not to take Acetyl-L-Carnitine
Using an appropriate dosage of Acetyl-L-Carnitine is very safe even for long-term daily use. This is partly because the kidneys and liver naturally produce this nutrient. In a higher dosage of more than 5gm/day, one might see:
- Increased appetite
- Body odor
- Body rashes and headaches
Acetyl-L-Carnitine has some nootropic effects when taken for short-term. These are:
- Increase in memory and learning capacity
- Expanded or lengthened attention span
- Improved ability to concentrate and focus
- Increased sensory perception and mental clarity and mental energy
Research indicates that using an appropriate dosage of Acetyl-L-Carnitine is very safe even for an extended period. No doubt, this is partly because the liver and kidneys naturally synthesize this nutrient. Afterward, the supplement is transported to other tissues throughout the body and stored in places such as the brain, skeletal muscles, and heart. Our bodies have a small amount of Acetyl-L-Carnitine working in them, but we can boost it by supplementing our diet with additional sources of this natural chemical.
Is Acetyl L-Carnitine Legal?
Acetyl L-Carnitine is legally available over the counter throughout most parts of the world. But Canada has recently approved Acetyl L-Carnitine for use as a nutritional supplement. But this does guarantee you to assume the fact that each country has put laws to regulate the use of drugs. So before you purchase one, get the knowledge of what your country has in store so that you don’t get on the bad side of the law. At the same time, it might be sold by many people include online sales, to avoid future problems, it is better to get it from an authorized seller that has been given the authority by the government to sell it.
Most of the people that have used have reported that it even works better than L-Carnitine. It improves the immune system, energy production, and weight loss by moving the body fats to the mitochondria so that they produce energy. They have also said that they have seen its miracles as it works as an anti-aging supplement, boosts the brain function and mental function through its numerous ways. The price is also competitive out there in the market, but the caps have been made of a normal size hence, they are easy to swallow. These then suggest that the majority that has used it have liked it but they caution to not take too much as it might cause adverse side effects. Take as prescribed and you are in to enjoy it to the end. In the UK, ALCAR is 100% legal, and you’ll never face any issues with customs or the law!
When used correctly according to the appropriate daily dosage guide, Acetyl-L-Carnitine is certainly one of the safest supplements around the world. Since it is a universal compound, it is well tolerated and considered to be free of serious safety concerns. When used according to the stipulated dosage, there are no side effects. Acetyl L-Carnitine UK laws are extremely lenient, and the supplement is 100% legal overseas.
Leave a Reply