What Is Adrafinil?
Adrafinil is a drug used as a mild stimulant for the central nervous system. The drug is known to treat people who have Attention Deficient Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). This medication is used to raise Hypocretin, that is a neurotransmitter substance that controls the body alertness. One can have a lot of energy to drive the body throughout the day without being tired. The power supplied is used by the brain to remain active through the working period. The drug also increases the level of Dopamine, Histamine, and Norepinephrine in the body. These substances increase the energy standards of the body.
The effects of Adrafinil drug take quite some time for its effects to be felt in the body. Once administered into the body, a healthy individual can feel the impacts of the drug on an average period of 40 to 60 minutes. A single dose of Adrafinil in the body can stay in the body system for five to seven hours once administered.
Adrafinil was first unearthed in France by a pharmaceutical company “Lafon” in the late 1970s. The Lafon Company also developed Modafinil, the primary metabolite of Adrafinil. The drugs were considered to be a central nervous system stimulant just like other stimulants such as coffee, energy drinks, and soft drinks. The drug was discovered in the US in 1998.
This drug was first sold in France as a treatment for sleep disorders that make people alert almost all the time. The drug helps to alleviate the symptoms of sleep disorder making the patient live a normal life. Since then, the drug has been used to treat people who have Attention Deficient Hyperactivity Disorder. The drug has been approved for treatment for ADHD in the UK since its approval in 2012.
How To Use This?
Adrafinil is water-soluble. It can make it easy to mix it with water or juice to be swallowed quickly. Avoid using the drug frequently or on daily to avoid its side effects. Also, use the drug on those days that you want it to be productive and need a complete concentration.
Use the drug after maybe one to two weeks then give it a break. It ensures that the drug stays valid and doesn’t lead to tolerance. Always consult your doctor when you notice the unusual effects of the drugs.
What Will I Feel When I Take This?
Adrafinil users had noticed that this drug gives in immediate effects after taking in an hour or after 40 minutes of orally ingesting. The only 300 mg capsule is enough to cause the reaction especially for adults. For valid results, it will be good if taken at the correct dose to avoid adverse effects, this might make one unhappy.
Adrafinil can make one become alert and energized, it decreases errors in the performance of a task. Most students prefer Adrafinil because it improves mental performance and keeps intelligence strong. In most cases, they become motivated and attentive. It also challenges the mind to its mental breaking point for effective results. One should use it before time to make the mind mentally prepared, and it also should not be taken daily.
Adrafinil is used for the following purposes that can help the user in various ways:
- It treats people who suffer from Attention Deficient Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). It elevates histamine levels hence acting as a wakefulness agent.
- The drug is prescribed as a non-stimulant energy pill that can help someone to stay awake. It helps you to remain focus and attentive especially if you have a problem of concentrating on classroom activities.
- It also increases overall energy levels, attention, and prolonged physical or mental effort. People that endure night shift work and truck drivers can use this drug.
- It increases a high level of productivity as a result of increased energy and motivation. Individuals who are working in competitive fields such as industries can benefit from this drug greatly. As they will remain attentive for long.
- The drug also increases learning ability and boosts memory, but this is based on one’s cognitive ability level. The faster recall is experienced in terms of remembering information stored in long-term memory. It is useful during exams period as one is required to produce information at a faster speed.
- It enhances motivation and enjoyment when working in any occupation. It is possible since one can be attentive hence feeling motivated.
- It makes the brain work less exhausting by curbing some of the strain one may feel when working for extended periods of time. People who suffer from mood disorders like stress, anxiety, and depression during the day may use Adrafinil. The drug will enable you to remain attentive and incidences of feeling inattentive can’t be experienced.
- Improves problem-solving abilities and general cognition when making a sound decision. It keeps the mind alert at all times, and also enables you to recall some skills and information on how to solve a difficult situation.
Children should not be given this drug as a treatment for ADHD. This is because their brain is still developing, and any interference with it might cause some permanent damage.
The correct dose of Adrafinil depends on body weight and age. The recommended dose of this drug is about 600 mg to 1,200 mg when taken around three times each week. It’s good if one uses it early in the morning to prevent any interruptions of your sleeping patterns.
The best dose of Adrafinil is that it should not exceed 300 mg per day. To avoid side effects, it will be better if you start taking a small dose as you increase it slowly. Try to observe how your body reacts to the treatment. It is wise, especially for the new beginners. Once you want to increase the dose, it will be better if you do it after two weeks. Split the dose into two or three intervals of taking, but don’t take any dose during the evening hours as it will cause insomnia.
Our bodies react differently to drugs, and Adrafinil has not much even once the user observed the instructions given. In most cases if someone takes high doses, then some of the side effects will be:
- Increased high blood pressure resulting in heart problems
- Liver toxicity due to the high rise of enzyme activities in the liver
- Stomach upset, skin problems, depression, and anxiety.
- Causes insomnia since it disturbs the sleep cycle.
The most common long-term side effects of Adrafinil are caused by overdosing. These side effects are:
- There could be some liver toxicity due to the breakdown and conversion of Adrafinil into Modafinil. If you are taking alcohol, and at the same time take Adrafinil, you should not be doing so as they overwork your liver, making it produce a lot of enzymes causing liver problems.
- Skin problem had been noticed to have emerged due to the use of this drug. Among those skin problems, Dress Syndrome, Steven-Johnson Syndrome, and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis are the major complaints.
Some of the short-term effects of this drug are:
- It can lead to loss of appetite and cause nausea.
- Anxiety and headache.
- Breathing difficulties and diarrhea.
- Weight loss, fever, and dizziness.
- Insomnia, especially when used during the evening hours. It will make your sleeping pattern to be irregular. It can happen due to the hypothalamus increasing the level of histamine that controls the sleep and wake cycle.
The drug may cause the following:
- It has awful side effects of this drug include skin problems, depression, anxiety and stomach upset.
- It may cause liver complications due to the high rise of enzymes to eliminate the harmful substances into harmless substances.
- Causes insomnia by disturbing the sleeping pattern. It occurs if one consumes the drug during evening hours.
Adrafinil is said to peak in the blood of elderly humans approximately one hour after oral ingestion. Neurological effects occur immediately after this peak since this is the time it takes to be converted into Modafinil, which is its active metabolite. Adrafinil can also be converted directly to Modafinilic acid without producing Modafinil. The drug has been proven to do well when treating people with ADHD at it increases mental alertness.
Is Adrafinil Legal?
Adrafinil is a powerful Nootropic agent that provides Adrafinil users with a sense of awake and alertness. Adrafinil is legal in some countries like the United States of America, UK, and Canada, but some countries require a prescription that allows patients to import small quantities for personal use. In the UK, this was approved and since then it was allowed to treat people with ADHD.
The World Anti-Doping Agency has added Adrafinil to its list of prohibited drugs for athletics competition. Therefore, it is recommended for one to know whether Adrafinil is prohibited or not in each country one admires to visit. It enables you to avoid embarrassments when necessary.
The most common danger of Adrafinil is liver problems, but this is caused when one takes the drug frequently. To avoid this, you need to have a break after one or two weeks. It reduces the chance of the drug being built up in the body.
The drug also can cause insomnia, but this can be avoided by taking the medication early in the morning. Adrafinil withdrawal is a possible but rare danger of using the drug consistently. If taken at a normal dosage, Adrafinil withdrawal will rarely occur.
The role of the human liver is to remove the level of toxic substances in the body, such as drugs. The liver metabolizes Adrafinil into Modafinil through the action of detoxification. This medication increases the release of liver enzymes that are used to break down toxic materials into a less harmful substance. It can lead to problems and eventually toxicity within the liver.
When these substances accumulate in the liver due to prolonged usage of Adrafinil, they can cause irreversible damage to the liver. Moreover, the strain that causes further stresses the liver of the user, this is common especially users who already have liver issues especially those with hepatic problems.
Supplementing with milk thistle will prevent liver damage from prolonged Adrafinil intake. It helps in detoxifying the liver. Milk thistle is highly recommended and that it should be taken after cycling with Adrafinil or when the user takes a break from Adrafinil use.
To be on the safe side, avoid taking alcoholic substances at the same time taking this drug. It will reduce on how your liver strains to break down these substances into a less harmless product.