What is L-Theanine, And what are It’s Major Uses?
L-Theanine is a soluble amino acid that is found in black and green tea. To a lesser extent, it can also be found in mushrooms. L-Theanine makes up between 1 and 2 percent of dry weight of tea. When it passes through the blood-brain barrier within the first 30 minutes, it can be used as a stress relief, to treat anxiety, minimal cognitive impairment, and improve concentration and focus. The drug is believed to generate creativity that is a state of wakeful relaxation, and higher learning through the ability to ignore distracting information during complex tasks. The major uses of L-Theanine are, improved sleep patterns, and diminished anxiety.
L-Theanine has a powerful beneficial effect on the human brain. The benefits are;
– General relaxation and calmness, the drug boosts the GABA, serotonin and dopamine levels in the human brain. These substances have some powerful effects on human moods. Each substance promotes calmness and users tend to feel more relaxed and being able to control their focus, motor actions, and cognition
– L-Theanine improves learning and memory by decreasing interference from the outside stimuli. This enables the users to improve their ability to learn new information, store and recall the information later.
More about L-Theanine
– It reduces physical and mental stress
– Increases the Alpha wave generation for a more relaxed yet in awake state
– The drug reduces the negative effects of caffeine consumption since caffeine is a powerful cognitive enhancer, it also come with negative side effects. These side effects are digestion problem, sleeplessness, jitters, and crashing. When one takes L-Theanine, it suppresses these side effects caused by caffeine
– Improve the cardiovascular health by regulating the heart rate and help it to return to its normal rate. The drug is also linked to lower the blood sugar level and improves the immune system functionality
– Studies have shown that people who use this drug are able to focus on difficult tasks more effectively when taking the nootropic and enhance their concentration, when it is further stacked atop stimulants.
– Other studies have found that it increases focus but at the same time shortens reaction time in the brain. This may be caused due to the effect of L-Theanine on attention and reaction time and helping those that have high anxiety levels that are caused by caffeine.
– Patients that are using other hyper-sensitive medicines should use L-Theanine carefully because it decreases blood pressure
The correct dosage that has been clinically tested and approved is about 200-250 mg twice in a day and up to a maximum daily use of 1200 mg. You are also advised to take this known dosage because if you overdose then the side effects might be fatal and sometimes can’t be controlled.
L-Theanine is water soluble, and this means that it can be taken with a glass of water and also the drug can be easily ingested into the body. Users report that taking this drug on an empty stomach one feels more significant effects.
The following are the uses of L-Theanine:
– It helps to relieve stress by including a relaxation effect that will not cause any drowsiness and may also have an immunologic attribute.
– It plays a preventive role in combating cancer if used well and according to the dosage stated.
– It helps the body’s immune response to infection. It boosts the disease-fighting capacity of gamma delta T cells.
– The drug is used to improve the cardiovascular health by regulating the heart rate and help it to return to its normal rate. The drug is also linked to lower the blood sugar level and improves the immune system functionality
– It raises levels of brain serotonin, GABA, and dopamine with an improvement to a specific memory and learning tasks.
– Used to reduce the negative effects of caffeine consumption since caffeine is a powerful cognitive enhancer, it also comes with negative side effects. These side effects are digestion problem, sleeplessness, jitter, and crashing
Long-term L-Theanine Uses
– Improves the long term and short term memory and enable learner to recall information
– Boosts the body immune response to infection by boosting the disease-fighting capacity of the Gamma Delta T cells
– It combats cancer when it is well used
– It improves the cardiovascular health by regulating the heart rate to its normal rate and also control blood sugar level that can cause cardiovascular disorders
Short-term use of Theanine
– Reduces mental and physical stress due to its ability to cross the blood-brain barrier
– Improves cognition and boost mood and cognitive performance
– Fights anxiety, mood, blood pressure control and cognition
– Promotes alpha wave production in the brain
– It reduces symptoms of schizophrenia, and it can be used as an anti-psychotic medication
– It has relaxing and tranquilizing features that users express themselves that they are calm yet their brain is still able to concentrate and keep focus.
Tea drinkers have proven that the drug helps their body’s immune response to infections and boosting ability the disease-fighting capacity of the gamma delta T cells. The drug raises the level of dopamine, GABA, and serotonin and the users have reported improvement in their memory and learning a task. Those that also go to do intense competitions for the first time have also reported that when they have used L-Theanine, they reduce their stage fright or performance anxiety by taking it half an hour before presentations.
Is this legal?
Currently, L-Theanine is easy to find online and in the store, the drug is available in health food store, drugstores, and pharmacies in many countries around the globe. The drug is a legal supplement in the US, and FDA approved it. It is also legal in most of other Western countries like in the Canada and the United Kingdom.
In other countries, L-Theanine is not available, but still people can be able to enjoy the benefits of L-Theanine by taking tea. It is only that they don’t know that they are taking a powerful Amino acid.
How Long Does this Last?
The effects of this drug start within an hour after being taken orally, and the peak occurs after five hours of ingestion. The half time of L-Theanine is 24 hours, and this is the reason users have to take the drug on a daily basis. One cannot form a chemical dependence by using the L-Theanine.
If one want to enjoy the full benefit of this drug, then staking it with caffeine is good. A powerful cognitive benefits, increased focus and attention and overall mood enhancement is what will be felt when this supplement is staked with caffeine. This supplement has an immediate effect, and its effects are powerful.
The L-theanine was discovered in 1949, and it constitutes of 1 to 2% of the dry weight of tea leaves. The drug exists only in the free nonprotein form. The drug has been observed to antagonize the hypertensive effect of caffeine and exerts a weak antioxidant action as compared with green tea. Several researchers have proposed mechanisms by which the drug may act on the Central Nervous System. These include the prevention of glutamate receptors, increasing the concentration of GABA, dopamine and serotonin in the brain. It also acts as a neuroprotective in the hippocampus, and researchers have suggested that the drug can play a potential role in Parkinson disease treatment.
The drug is also able to cross the blood-brain barrier and many types of researchers seen it as having some relaxing effects. The drug also acts as a wakeful relaxing supplement, and it has a positive contribution to cognitive performance. The drug can also play a role in reducing influenza and cold.
This supplement is primarily found in plant and fungal species. Tea is the second consumed beverage in the world after water. L-Theanine was therefore discovered in 1949 as a constituent of tea and approved in Japan in 1964 to be used without limitation in all foods including soft drinks, chocolates, and herb teas but infant foods were excluded. It also has an umami taste and flavor to green tea. It is substantially present in black, green, and white teas in quantities of about 1% of the dry weight.
People who have been taking L-Theanine have been investigated by scientists and they have measured their brain and found that the users show more Alpha brain wave than those people who don’t take this drug. The Alpha brainwave is known to promote feelings of calmness and relaxation at the same time allowing the brain to be alert and attentive.
The history of this drug is essentially the history of tea. For several years ago, people in the ancient China took tea and enjoyed its benefits, although they did not notice that they were taking a certain powerful amino acid.
Currently, more and more researches are being conducted on the benefits of L-Theanine. Researchers are currently investigating L-Theanine’s claims to improved neuron health, physiological benefits, and longevity.
Final Thoughts on the Most Common L-Theanine Uses
L-Theanine is well tolerated in the body with few side effects. Human beings have been taking green tea for several years, and its benefits are well demonstrated. The FDA has considered the L-Theanine to be safe and human beings can consume the drug without worries of side effects. The minor side effects the drug are dizziness and headache. If you are taking any other medication, don’t take this drug before consulting your physician. The drug can lower the body blood pressure to dangerously low level, and therefore, if one is taking drugs that lower blood pressure, then one should avoid taking this supplement.
Many people don’t have access of L-Theanine, but they should never bother. Taking tea can enable you to enjoy the benefits of L-Theanine although at a lower rate, but at least you can enjoy the privilege. L-theanine has shown to have greater benefits, and, therefore, uses should not misuse the drug.