What is N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine?
N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine is a supplement to help clear the brain and enable it to function more clearly. It contains amino acids which are critical for a variety of body functions. Some of the body functions amino acids affect are:
- Making protein
- Muscle recovery
- Building muscles
- Cell growth and recovery
- Cognitive processes
When you take the supplement you enhance your body’s natural acids and it will support and increase peak performance from both your brain and body. It enhances your working memory through chemical signalers in the prefrontal cortex. N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine (NALT) is a modified form of non-essential amino acids and is absorbed directly into your bloodstream. NALT will not only boost your brain and body performance; one of its most powerful benefits is to increase your dopamine levels. It will also increase your levels of Tyrosine in your blood. Tyrosine is what treats PKU; a condition when your body blocks the amino acid essential in the maintenance of health and brain systems.
What are the Main Benefits of the Drug?
NALT is a bioavailable form of the amino acid, Tyrosine. This is a chemical known as L-Dopa and is used to make Dopamine as well as other chemicals our body needs to maintain healthy mental functioning. L-Dopa will convert into Melanin through a process that will force quinones to leave our system. Quinones are responsible for neurotoxicity, and the Melanin removes these as well as other harmful metals like mercury and lead.
NALT supplements improve your memory formation and enable you to learn more easily. The supplement will also help you understand better as your comprehension and analytical skills are enhanced. Those who have taken NALT supplements report:
- Feeling more mental energy
- Their focus is clearer
- They are able to concentrate better and longer
- Reduced stress
- Improved their overall mood and confidence
- Reduced anxiety
- Some have reported it helped relieve their depression
Suggested Dosage of N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine
The typical dosage listed for NALT is 300 to 500 mg a day. How you choose to spread this amount out over the day is your personal preference, it can be taken all at once or you can spread the amount out over the course of the day. You may find you don’t need the full 500 mg and you can reduce the amount you take. If you feel you need more you can increase the amount as long as you do not go over 1000 in a day. NALT supplements are sold by themselves or you can find them pre-formulated brain supplement products. What is N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine? It is an enhanced form of the regular drug, Tyrosine, and is much more potent than the original.
NALT is reported to be safe and non-toxic. Most healthy adults have reported they tolerated this supplement well. Many of the reviews posted for the supplement do not state there have been any unpleasant reactions or negative side effects from taking this nootropic compound. There have been very few who have reported any reactions; however, those that have listed some are:
- Migraine headaches
- Gastrointestinal distress
- Some thought it increased their thyroid production
- Some thought it interacted negatively with medications such as thyroid hormones and levodopa.
- It is suggested if you are taking any form of medications you check with your physician before starting this supplement.
Long-Term and Short-Term Use
If you take the supplement for a long-term you may increase the risk of side effects over those who only use it short-term. Most experts on this compound suggest you only take it for a three-month term even though it has not been proven a longer period of time will increase side effect risks. There is also a question as to how much is taken per day. If you take NALT for more than three months and are taking a dose every day you may increase the risks of adverse reactions.
These suggestions are not based on any scientific research. It is “believed” long-term effects may have increased risk of side effects. Short-term use is the only use they have studied and found safe. When you first begin the use of NALT there may a temporary physiological adaption you will have to go through.
Research on NALT shows the approach of administrating an amino acid compound intimately reacts to a number of physiological functions. There are possible therapeutic properties within the supplement to enhance:
- Cardiovascular regulation
- Neuroendocrine secretion
- Regulate behavior
- Regulate moods
- Regulate appetite
Another test shows the supplement may be a potential treatment for stress. Tyrosine was studied for its behavioral effects during a continuous nighttime work shift where the subject lost sleep. During the test nine subjects performed tasks while their moods were recorded at specific intervals. The subjects remained awake for more than 24 hours and six hours into the testing half of them received a set dosage of Tyrosine while the other half received a placebo. The recipients of the Tyrosine showed improved workability that lasted about three hours while those that received the placebo were beginning to decline in their work performances.
A study done on twelve subjects during a double-blind, cross-over design where they were given two amino-acid drinks separated by a week, a nutritiously balanced mixture and a tyrosine and phenylalanine deficient mixture was found to have to effects on altering moods.
- One consumer wrote when she took the dosage of 1.5 grams spread throughout her day it made little difference for her. She increased her dosage and was amazed at how it seriously improved her intelligence and memory scores. She found an unknown strength in playing the game, Jeopardy.
- Tyrosine is one of this reviewer’s favorite supplements. They were able to think much clearer and quicker than any other nootropic had been able to do for them. They reduced the suggested dosage as it seemed to make them feel too stimulated and also reduced their usual amount of coffee for the day. They had some concern about their thyroid displaying symptoms but were happy about how they were able to get through their day much more focused. Plans to visit their doctor are set up to discuss the thyroid concerns.
- One reviewer did not believe in the promise of supplements and stated they only work for a short time and then stop. They state other nutrients are needed to convert tyrosine into DA and if you are low on those, the supplements effects will be diminished.
It is hard to know if this supplement will have the desired effect of enhancing memory or intelligence as there is not enough scientific evidence to support it. I believe it is safe and feel the best test would be to try NALT and find out firsthand what it’s capable of. The evidence is there that it will not harm, therefore trying the supplement can only provide a positive outcome or no outcome.